Software Engineer, Cardiff
- Location: Cardiff
- Duration: Ongoing
- Salary: £50,000 - £60,000
- Start date: Immediate
- Job Type: Permanent
- Sector: IT & Web Support
The ideal person for the role
New Directions are recruiting for an experienced Software Engineer to join the Group as we embark on a new phase of growth through the launch of our new digital growth plan to increase our market share.
Based out of our Head Office in Cardiff, you will join a newly created product unit whose work focuses on digital growths projects. We have ambitious plans to modernise how we support our clients, which involves the re-development of both front and back-end systems, and operational and technical workflows.
You will be an experienced Software Engineer comfortable working in agile / DevOps environments, and will bring much more than technical skills to the table. This role requires an individual who is hardworking, passionate and willing, that will work with stakeholders at all levels, across the Group to deliver work to support our digital growth plan. You will enjoy working in a collaborative environment, thrive on working with others and seek to influence the operation, culture and environment of this newly-formed unit.
For now, most of the work for this role can be carried out through remote working whilst we operate under COVID guidelines. However, in the future the team will look to move to an agile working method split between the office and home.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to be a key player in shaping this team and our growth areas this role is for you.
- Responsible for the full technical project lifecycle, from technical analysis to design, prototyping to testing, deployment to running
- Accountable for writing, testing and deploying high-quality / performance code
- Expected to identify and resolve technical issues or gaps, and do technical analysis
- Able to work around constraints, optimise and re-engineer business systems, and become familiar with the Group’s overall enterprise architecture
- Active contributor to the modernisation of the digital / IT teams’ toolsets, frameworks, and ways-of-working
What we’re looking for
- Technically led the development of multiple Web-based applications / projects
- Demonstrable ability to rationalise technical options and trade-offs and influence project stakeholders
- Good engineering practices (writing clean, tested and stable code]) and knowledge share
- Supporting business / technical analysts to prepare and review user stories and tasks
- Demonstrable experience in supporting continuous delivery if needed by the business, using DevOps toolsets and ways-of-working [TDD and CI/CD]; and modern SDLC [agile, lean, DevOps]
- Familiarity with Cloud services for end-to-end web application lifecycles, e.g., Microsoft Azure stack
- Suitable computer science degree/background
- Comfortable working collaboratively across the business
- Demonstrable experience in mentoring others/coaching/team working
- Attention to detail along with the confidence to deep-dive into your work, ensuring workflow momentum is maintained
- RESTfulAPI / JSON API / CRUD development
- Understanding of relation databases / SQL Server
- Supporting live services, identifying, locating and fixing defects to avoid service disruption
- Cloud certifications
Who are we?
New Directions provides recruitment and training services to the education, social care, domiciliary care, and the pharmaceutical sector and has seen remarkable growth over the decades, since first launching in 1994. More recently, the Group has launched a training division and also operates Online DSB, an online DBS and vetting checks service.
This role attracts a competitive salary and benefits package outlined below:
- Basic salary of £50,000 to £60,000 per year
- Remote working with a view to move to agile working post-COVID
- Development and progression opportunities
- 25 days holiday plus bank holiday and your birthday off with the opportunity to buy 5 more and accrue 2 extra after 2 years’ service
- Health cash back plan with access to Employee Assistance Programme
- 3% Christmas savings scheme
- 5% matched NEST pension scheme
How to apply
Please submit a CV and covering note explaining why you are the best fit for this role. For more information, please contact Tom Coleman (Internal Recruiter) on firstname.lastname@example.org.