Whether we like it or not, first impressions count. Research shows that you have seven seconds to make a first impression.
When it comes to interviews it’s important to make a good first impression, therefore it is vital you look smart and professional.
Here are my top tips for making a great first impression:
- Dress smartly whatever the company. Sometimes organisations have a dress-down policy, however when attending an interview don’t assume you can dress down too. Always dress to impress!
- Decide what you are going to wear at least a week before the interview. This will give you enough time to make sure everything is washed, dry-cleaned, ironed in plenty of time.
- TRY IT ON! Once you’ve decided what to wear, try it on! There are a number of reasons why here; it could be your first ever interview, if this is the case, ask family or friends for feedback. It could be your first interview for a number of years, your previous interview outfit may look like you’ve stepped out of a time machine or may not fit you anymore.
- Avoid loud patterns. I am all for expressing your personality however tone it down for an interview, maybe add some personality with some accessories such as a scarf, necklace, earrings etc.
- Make-up. Keep it natural. Simples.
- Make sure your hair is washed and styled.
- Shoes: Make sure they are smart, clean and tidy. If you’re wearing heels make sure they aren’t too high and that you can walk in them.
- SMILE! Even if you’re nervous, you’ll come across friendly which will make everyone feel more at ease.
The most important thing is whatever you wear, is that you feel good, because when you feel good your confidence shines through!