Cover Supervisor – Vacancies in England and Wales
What is it like to be a Cover Supervisor?
Working as a cover supervisor can be extremely rewarding but also very demanding. There is a high level of responsibility, however, there is always a teacher close at hand if needed. Schools may wish to employ staff for cover supervision but on occasions where they are not needed for cover, they might also be released to provide additional support to teachers in classrooms, or to carry out administrative tasks for example.
The role of a Cover Supervisor includes:
- Undertaking whole class supervision in the absence of the class teacher, setting work previously prepared by the teacher
- Developing curricular knowledge as required by the school
- Applying the school’s behaviour management policy and report any difficulties to the class teacher/head teacher
- Setting homework previously prepared by the teacher
- Marking elements of class work and homework under the guidance of the class teacher
- Undertaking observations of the pupils and contribute to pupil records
- Administering (and marking) class tests
- Supervising the work of the Teaching Assistant
- Abiding by and work towards all the policies within the school e.g. behaviour management, Health & Safety, Equal Opportunities
- Carrying out the above duties in accordance with the Children’s Services Department’s Equal Opportunities Policy.