- Location: St Helens - North West
- Start Date: September
- Duration: Ongoing
- Job Type: Temporary
- Sector: Secondary Education
- Category: Cover Supervisor
- Job Ref: MGE COV STH
- Salary: Competitive
New Directions Education are now accepting CV’s and applications for the post of cover supervisor. We have supplied cover supervisors across the whole of Merseyside and are now looking to recruit and replenish our team for this busy, upcoming year. We are keen to recruit applicants who are willing to work in St Helens.
BASIC JOB PURPOSE
Supervise whole classes of pupils and ensure that set work is completed in the absence of the teacher. Cover is provided for the short-term absence of teaching staff so that an effective and tailored school policy to cover is delivered.
- Supervise pupils who are undertaking work that has been set in accordance with the school policy so that teaching and learning continues.
- Manage the behaviour of pupils whilst they are undertaking their work to ensure a constructive environment.
- Respond to any questions from pupils about process and procedures so they can continue with their set work.
- Deal with any immediate problems or emergencies in accordance with the school’s policies and procedures to ensure that pupil/employee safety is assured.
- Collect any completed work after lessons to ensure it is returned to the relevant member of the teaching staff.
- Report back, using the school’s agreed referral procedures, on the behaviour of pupils during class and any issues arising so that the relevant member of the teaching staff is fully aware of the situation.
If interested, please send your C.V and we will be happy to contact you to discuss various positions.
What is it like to be a Cover Supervisor?
Working as a cover supervisor can be extremely rewarding but also very demanding. There is a high level of responsibility, however, there is always a teacher close at hand if needed. Schools may wish to employ staff for cover supervision but on occasions where they are not needed for cover, they might also be released to provide additional support to teachers in classrooms, or to carry out administrative tasks for example.
The role of a Cover Supervisor includes:
- Undertaking whole class supervision in the absence of the class teacher, setting work previously prepared by the teacher;
- Developing curricular knowledge as required by the school;
- Applying the school’s behaviour management policy and report any difficulties to the class teacher/head teacher;
- Setting homework previously prepared by the teacher;
- Marking elements of class work and homework under the guidance of the class teacher;
- Undertaking observations of the pupils and contribute to pupil records;
- Administering (and marking) class tests;
- Supervising the work of the Teaching Assistant;
- Abiding by and work towards all the policies within the school e.g. behaviour management, Health & Safety, Equal Opportunities;
- Carrying out the above duties in accordance with the Children’s Services Department’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
What can you expect from New Directions Education?
- A dedicated account manager;
- Regular and varied teaching supply work;
- Competitive pay rates;
- Potential long-term teaching roles;
- Fully compliant with the Agency Workers Regulation (AWR);
- Network of branches across the UK;
- Preferred supplier to 19 boroughs across the UK;
- Recommend-a-friend scheme;
- Respected reputation throughout the education and recruitment industry.
Please contact New Directions Education for more information on this job vacancy, on 0151 515 0820, or use our form below to enquire about this job vacancy.
Last modified: 23rd October 2018