- Location: Wrexham - North Wales
- Start Date: September 2018
- Duration: Ongoing Supply
- Job Type: Long Term
- Sector: Secondary Education
- Category: Cover Supervisor
- Job Ref: MD - WX
- Salary: £60.00 per day
Our Wrexham Secondary schools require Cover Supervisors to help step in and cover classes in the absence of the class teacher across key stages three, four and five.
Due to the nature of the work, it is important you can engage students, have a sense of humor as well as a strong classroom presence, with excellent classroom and strong behavior management skills.
Due to the short notice some schools provide, you must be adaptable and flexible to their needs and requirements, but there is the added benefit of not having to plan work as this will have already been set in the absence of the teacher but a good level of education and transferable skills are desirable.
The position of cover supervisor would suit someone who enjoys working with young people and supporting them as they learn.
The position would suit the following:
• Graduates considering a career within education (with prior experience of working with children);
• Retired teachers;
• Sports coaches;
• Members of the emergency services i.e. police, fire and ambulance;
• Care support staff;
• Youth workers and the probation service;
• Teaching assistants.
You would need to be registered with the Education Workforce Council and happy to adhere to New Directions compliance procedures.
What is it like to be a Cover Supervisor?
Working as a cover supervisor can be extremely rewarding but also very demanding. There is a high level of responsibility, however, there is always a teacher close at hand if needed. Schools may wish to employ staff for cover supervision but on occasions where they are not needed for cover, they might also be released to provide additional support to teachers in classrooms, or to carry out administrative tasks for example.
The role of a Cover Supervisor includes:
- Undertaking whole class supervision in the absence of the class teacher, setting work previously prepared by the teacher;
- Developing curricular knowledge as required by the school;
- Applying the school’s behaviour management policy and report any difficulties to the class teacher/head teacher;
- Setting homework previously prepared by the teacher;
- Marking elements of class work and homework under the guidance of the class teacher;
- Undertaking observations of the pupils and contribute to pupil records;
- Administering (and marking) class tests;
- Supervising the work of the Teaching Assistant;
- Abiding by and work towards all the policies within the school e.g. behaviour management, Health & Safety, Equal Opportunities;
- Carrying out the above duties in accordance with the Children’s Services Department’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
What can you expect from New Directions Education?
- A dedicated account manager;
- Regular and varied teaching supply work;
- Competitive pay rates;
- Potential long-term teaching roles;
- Fully compliant with the Agency Workers Regulation (AWR);
- Network of branches across the UK;
- Preferred supplier to 19 boroughs across the UK;
- Recommend-a-friend scheme;
- Respected reputation throughout the education and recruitment industry.
Please contact New Directions Education for more information on this job vacancy, on 01978 884290, or use our form below to enquire about this job vacancy.
Last modified: 4th September 2018