- Location: Cardiff - South Wales
- Start Date: January 2018
- Duration: Temp to Perm
- Job Type: Long Term
- Sector: Additional Learning Needs (ALN)
- Category: Teaching Assistant
- Job Ref: SPLAN21
- Salary: £62
One of the most established Primary Schools in Cardiff are currently seeking an experienced Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) to join their team. The position has come about due to a member of staff retiring. As is within the normal job description of a HLTA, the successful candidate will display: a knowledge understanding of the National Curriculum, an understanding of behaviour management strategies and an understanding of First Aid procedures. Other desirable qualities consist of: good oral and written communication skills, good interpersonal skills both with young pupils and with parents, good organizational, time management skills and IT skills.
The school itself is host to over 380 pupils and has been long established. As it is central Cardiff it is extremely accessible via public transport with multiple bus links within a mere 5 minute walk of the school gate. On-site parking is also offered.
The typical work week will run Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 15:30pm with a 1 hour break. Responsibilities will be outlined by the Deputy Head Teacher who may move you around the school to best suit the schools functionality on any given day, for this reason the successful candidate must be comfortable over all key stages.
If you feel you are suited to the above position please apply and note your interest by forwarding us an up to date CV.
Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) Jobs
The role of the HLTA came into force in 2003. This role adds further support to those individuals teaching in a classroom environment. The post is more senior to that of a Teaching Assistant, and with this comes added responsibilities.
A HTLA may be required to teach classes on their own at times, or cover planned absences to allow teaching staff to plan and mark. To become a HLTA you must have experience as a Teaching Assistant. You will also need the support of your school and senior staff.
Education and Experience
- Meet HLTA standards or equivalent qualification or experience
- Hold relevant qualification at Level 3 minimum
- Demonstrates numeracy and literacy skills to GCSE (A-C) or L2 equivalent
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a Teaching Assistant Role
Typical Duties of a Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA)
- Teach small groups of students
- Offer cover supervision in teacher absence
- Organise classroom activities – planning and setting out resource
- Provide verbal and written feedback on classroom sessions to teaching staff
- Promote the inclusion of all pupils in a learning environment
- Work with teaching staff to evaluate pupils’ learning progress
- Contributes to observation and assessment in classroom environments
What can you expect from New Directions Education?
- A dedicated account manager;
- Regular and varied teaching supply work;
- Competitive pay rates;
- Potential long-term teaching roles;
- Fully compliant with the Agency Workers Regulation (AWR);
- Network of branches across the UK;
- Preferred supplier to 19 boroughs across the UK;
- Recommend a friend scheme;
- Respected reputation throughout the education and recruitment industry.
Please contact New Directions Education for more information on this job vacancy, on 029 2039 0133, or use our form below to enquire about this job vacancy.
Last modified: 23rd April 2018