- Location: Pembrokeshire - West Wales
- Start Date: September 2018
- Duration: on going
- Job Type: Temporary
- Sector: Primary Education
- Category: Teaching Assistant
- Job Ref: hlta/sw2
- Salary: very competitive
New Direction Education are currently recruiting for a Higher-Level Teaching Assistant in the Pembrokeshire area to start in September 2018. This position will be for a term initially with the possibility of this role continuing for the right person. The school wish to appoint a Higher-Level Teaching Assistant to work as part of an outstanding support team on a full-time basis. They are looking for somebody with commitment energy and drive to work closely with staff to provide a positive learning experience for their pupils. In all cases the Higher-Level Teaching Assistant will work with individuals, small groups and whole classes to lead learning.
Candidates are required to have: –
- Sufficient experience to provide evidence that they meet the standards in relation to the HLTA status;
- Have had experience of teaching a whole class without a teacher being present.
Higher Level Teaching Assistant Duties
- Within an agreed system of supervision and within a pre-determined lesson framework, teach whole classes;
- Provide detailed verbal and written feedback on lesson content, pupil responses to learning activities and pupil behaviour, to teachers and pupils;
- Motivate and progress pupils’ learning by using clearly structured, interesting teaching and learning activities;
- Assist teachers in offering mentoring support and guidance to other teaching assistants undertaking formal training;
- Assist in maintaining good discipline of pupils throughout the school and escort and supervise pupils on planned visits and journeys;
- To work within and encourage the school’s Equal Opportunity policy and contribute to diversity policies and programmes in relation to discriminatory behaviour;
- To promote the safeguarding of children;
- To carry out the duties and responsibilities of the post, in accordance with the school’s Health and Safety Policy and relevant Health and Safety Guidance and Legislation;
- To use information technology systems as required to carry out the duties of the post in the most efficient and effective manner;
- Ability to use own initiative and work flexibly.
You will be required to adhere to New Directions compliance procedures to be considered for this role.
Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) Jobs
The role of the HLTA came into force in 2003. This role adds further support to those individuals teaching in a classroom environment. The post is more senior to that of a Teaching Assistant, and with this comes added responsibilities.
A HTLA may be required to teach classes on their own at times, or cover planned absences to allow teaching staff to plan and mark. To become a HLTA you must have experience as a Teaching Assistant. You will also need the support of your school and senior staff.
Education and Experience
- Meet HLTA standards or equivalent qualification or experience
- Hold relevant qualification at Level 3 minimum
- Demonstrates numeracy and literacy skills to GCSE (A-C) or L2 equivalent
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a Teaching Assistant Role
Typical Duties of a Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA)
- Teach small groups of students
- Offer cover supervision in teacher absence
- Organise classroom activities – planning and setting out resource
- Provide verbal and written feedback on classroom sessions to teaching staff
- Promote the inclusion of all pupils in a learning environment
- Work with teaching staff to evaluate pupils’ learning progress
- Contributes to observation and assessment in classroom environments
What can you expect from New Directions Education?
- A dedicated account manager;
- Regular and varied teaching supply work;
- Competitive pay rates;
- Potential long-term teaching roles;
- Fully compliant with the Agency Workers Regulation (AWR);
- Network of branches across the UK;
- Preferred supplier to 19 boroughs across the UK;
- Recommend a friend scheme;
- Respected reputation throughout the education and recruitment industry.
Please contact New Directions Education for more information on this job vacancy, on 01792 620180, or use our form below to enquire about this job vacancy.
Last modified: 5th November 2018