- Location: Swansea - South Wales
- Start Date: May 2019
- Duration: Long & Short Term
- Job Type: Temporary
- Sector: Ancillary (School Support Staff)
- Category: School Support
- Job Ref: AW2
- Salary: £9.50 per hour
New Directions are recruiting for a hardworking and flexible School Caretaker, to work on a relief basis in various Primary Schools in Swansea.
Due to the nature of relief work, this role will involve working in different schools in the area, covering temporary absences such as long or short-term sickness. Although the hours will vary depending on the specific school requirements, primary school caretakers will usually be required to work split-shifts (e.g. 6am – 10am and 3pm – 7pm), so applicants will ideally have access to transport.
Applicants should have previous Caretaker experience or a background working in building / maintenance / repairs with transferable skills, and an excellent awareness of health and safety.
Primary school caretaker duties will include:
- Being the main key-holder for the school, opening the premises in the morning prior to staff and pupils arriving and locking up at the end of the day
- Setting and maintaining alarm systems throughout the school
- Carrying out general repairs and maintenance on site as requested by senior staff
- Assisting with cleaning duties such as emptying bins and litter picking
- Organising and overseeing external contractors for major repair work
Please note, all applicants must hold a Child-Only Enhanced DBS Certificate registered with the Update Service or be willing to pay for a new DBS.
Caretakers will be responsible for looking after the school site including the buildings and grounds.
The duties of a school caretaker include: general maintenance and minor repairs, liaising with contractors, managing heating and alarm systems, security opening and closing the school, basic cleaning, and key holding.
Caretakers must be honest, reliable and trustworthy. They must be able to work well on their own using their own initiative, as well as working well within a larger team.
Candidates will ideally have previous caretaking experience; however New Directions will consider candidates who have a background in maintenance, decorating, facilities or security. It is mandatory that caretakers have a clear DBS either registered with the Update Service or a New Directions DBS.
The Role of a School Caretaker
- General maintenance and minor repairs
- Liaising with contractors
- Managing heating and alarm systems
- Security opening and closing the school
- Basic cleaning
- Key holding
Please contact New Directions Education for more information on this job vacancy, on 029 2039 0133, or use our form below to enquire about this job vacancy.
Last modified: 23rd April 2019