New Directions Pharmacy

Recruitment and Training Specialists in the Pharmacy Sector

Overseas Candidates

Plane & Passport

New Directions welcomes the registration of overseas candidates seeking employment, however as we do not directly employ any applicant some the following are pre-requisites before your registration can be considered by our consultants:

  1. You must have pharmacy qualifications and sufficient experience to enable you to register as a candidate with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC).
  2. You must have a good level of spoken and written English.
  3. Ideally, but not essentially, you will have previous experience of working in the UK.

The registration of working in the UK requirements differ depending on where you qualified. Our consultants are able to advise but in summary:

  • If you qualified in one of the member states of the European Community becoming recognised in the UK is relatively simple. You will need to complete a detailed application to the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC). A more detailed explanation of the requirements and process is available from
  • Candidates in other countries will need to complete an application with the society and will have their registration reviewed by committee. Depending upon your qualifications and experience, you may be required to attend a 1 year conversion course and a subsequent pre registration training year.
  • Visa Requirements:
    • If you are an Australian, Canadian, Japanese or New Zealand passport holder and aged between 18 to 30 and have not previously had a Working Holiday Visa or a visa issued under the Youth Mobility Scheme you can qualify for entry to the UK under the Youth Mobility Scheme (tier 5). You will need to apply for this prior to travelling to the UK and once issued you are able to work in the UK for 2 full years.
    • Alternatively you may qualify for a Highly Skilled Migrant (tier 1) visa, please refer to the UK Home Office website. This must be applied for prior to travelling to the UK and once granted will enable you to work in the UK for the full length of the visa. For more information on these visa schemes, the points system and application forms go direct to the UK Border Agency site at Home Office.

If you are overseas but hold a British passport or have dual nationality with a country within the European Economic Area you will not require a visa.

For up-to-date information on visas/permits please visit the Foreign Office at Apply for UK visa for visa information and questionnaire.

New Directions, unfortunately, cannot place candidates until these requirements are upheld.