- Location: Cardiff
- Job Type: Part Time, Temporary
- Sector: Housing
- Category: Homeless Hostel Support Worker
- Job Ref: OS
- Salary: £8.72 - £10.00 per hour
- Apply Now
New Directions are recruiting for homeless hostel support workers that have had previous experience within the sector. We supply agency staff to a variety of homeless services throughout the Cardiff area and have a continuous requirement for support workers that have at least 6 months paid experience within a similar setting.
We have a range of shifts available on an adhoc basis including days, nights and sleep ins with up to full time hours available. You have the flexibility to pick and choose the ones that suit you.
- Actively promoting client’s involvement at all times
- Working with clients to assess and identify their support needs
- Establishing supportive and professional relationships with clients
- Maintenance and cleanliness of the Hostel
Necessary skills and experience:
- An understanding of why people become homeless, and the needs and challenges they face
- Experience of working within a hostel environment supporting clients with complex needs such as homelessness, substance misuse, ex-offenders and mental health issues
- Ability to cope with customers who display challenging behaviour
- A good standard of written and oral English
- A good level of IT skills
- Ability to work shifts on a rota basis including afternoon and sleep in shifts
How to apply:
If you feel that you fully meet the above outlined criteria and would like apply, please submit your CV for consideration. For more information, please contact 02920390150.
The role of a Hostel Worker
The role of a Hostel Worker is focused on support and enabling, rather than predominantly personal care, and involves providing advice and guidance as part of a range of support activities rather than a specialist service.
Hostel Workers work in teams with other professionals, including managers, social workers, other outreach and community support workers, drug action groups, youth offending services, and with the police, education authority and schools, health authorities and housing departments etc.
Furthermore this may also include individual support and counselling via such activities as shopping with people who need care and support, taking them to appointments, developing everyday skills such as how to make a cup of tea or prepare and cook a meal safely, or simply being with them in their home environment.
During the night, you will ensure the safety of the service users are met, ensuring that the noise level is kept low and some domestic tasks.
Hostel Workers usually work in temporary housing settings with long or short-term residents, others provide support within the local community for individuals who are in supported housing or living independently.
- Working as part of a friendly, established team
- 24 hour On Call Service in place
- Flexibility to choose where, when and how much you want to work
- Competitive pay rates
- Recommend-a-friend scheme
- Award winning company
- Online Services to access to your information; payslips, request holiday pay
- Full booking confirmation before you start
- Access to FREE Training Courses and personal development
- Respected reputation throughout the Social Care and recruitment industry
Experience:Please be advised that we require a minimum 6 months paid social care experience or 12 months relevant voluntary experience.
DBS:We are fully committed to the protection of children and vulnerable adults. All applicants must undertake a robust recruitment procedure and hold a fully enhanced DBS (formerly CRB) check.
Please contact New Directions Social Care for more information on this job vacancy, on 029 2039 0150, or use our form below to enquire about this job vacancy.
Last modified: 22nd May 2020