- Location: Cardiff - South Wales
- Job Type: Part Time, Temporary
- Sector: Adult Services, Support Work
- Job Ref: AJ
- Salary: £7.20-£9.00 p/h
- Apply Now
Role: Support Worker
Hours: Full time and part time available
New Directions provides specialist support to adults with learning disabilities and mental health needs.
Support workers looking to work in this sector must have experience with challenging behaviour and all associated needs.
It is imperative that the right person builds and maintains strong relationships with service users and, colleagues, family members and external professionals. You must be patient and dedicated to supporting the client to achieve.
The role itself would call for the support worker to promote independence, support daily activities and help service users to reach their potential.
You must have a minimum of 6 months experience supporting people and in return New Directions offers excellent rates of pay, flexible hours and ongoing free training.
The role of a Mental Health Support Worker
Mental health support workers support people with long term mental health problems, helping them to adapt to ordinary life within the community by developing coping skills rather than being institutionalised in a hospital.
Their role is to support individuals to live as independently as possible, often following illness. Their work is predominantly support and enabling, rather than personal care, and involves providing advice and guidance as part of a range of support activities rather than a specialist service. Support may be provided in supported living accommodation, a hostel or day centre.
Everyone working in adult social care needs English, number, digital and employability skills. Different roles require a different level of skill. Here are a few examples of the core skills you might need as a mental health support worker;
- Speaking skills to give people information;
- Team working skills to work with other professionals and services such as social workers and education and health authorities;
- Digital skills to research activities in the local area;
- Time management skills;
- Problem solving skills to provide advice to someone.
- Working as part of a friendly, established team
- 24 hour On Call Service in place
- Flexibility to choose where, when and how much you want to work
- Competitive pay rates
- Recommend-a-friend scheme
- Award winning company
- Online Services to access to your information; payslips, request holiday pay
- Full booking confirmation before you start
- Access to FREE Training Courses and personal development
- Respected reputation throughout the Social Care and recruitment industry
Experience:Please be advised that we require a minimum 6 months paid social care experience or 12 months relevant voluntary experience.
DBS:We are fully committed to the protection of children and vulnerable adults. All applicants must undertake a robust recruitment procedure and hold a fully enhanced DBS (formerly CRB) check.
Please contact New Directions Social Carefor more information on this job vacancy,on 029 2039 0150, or use our form below to enquire about this job vacancy.
Last modified: 2nd November 2016