New Directions Education presented Risca Community Comprehensive School today with thirty running vests for their newly formed running club.
This is the very first running club for the school and is still fairly new after only beginning in April 2018.
The idea for this club came after Barri Mock, The Head of Welsh, noticed a need for the children who weren’t part of any teams to find a way to keep active.
Students and teachers of Risca Comprehensive are invited to join every Friday after school to run either a 3K, 4.7K or 6K route. The children will be rewarded for their dedication with the free vest when they have hit ten runs. Hopefully, this will keep up their motivation to continue running each week through the cold and dark winter nights.
Barri asked for the donated vests to be as bright as possible to ensure the runners are highly visible on the roads, keeping the children and teachers safe when they are out running in the dark.
“We would like to say a massive thank you to New Directions Education for their donation. This will help us to stay motivated throughout winter!” comments, Barri Mock, head of Welsh.
New Directions Education has worked with Risca Comprehensive for many years now and were thrilled to be able to get involved and help encourage this sports initiative as part of their “In the community” programme.
If you are thinking of starting to run but not sure where to begin, we have put together some top tips for new runners….
- Invest in a pair of running shoes – it is important that you have the right footwear so you don’t injure yourself
- Go for distance rather than time – don’t worry about being slow when you start out, you will improve!
- Remember to rest – rest days are just important as training days
- Join a running group – they are a great support system
- Build on your distances slowly – no need to start off with crazy long distances start slow and build on it each time
- Set small achievable goals – this will help you to stay motivated
- Lastly…Stay safe! – make sure when you are running on the roads in the dark you are visible.